Thursday, November 4, 2010

New for the Holiday Season: Week 1

Since the farming season is over for me, I have more time now to experiment in the kitchen and to bake new treats for Local Roots. As the holidays approach, I'm trying out new seasonal recipes and items appropriate for parties and other celebrations. Here's what's new this week:


--Rye crackers: If you enjoy the rye or pumpernickel breads I sell, you might give these thin, crispy crackers a try. Along with the organic rye flour from Stutzman Farms, they include cocoa powder, local sorghum molasses, and a sprinkling of caraway seeds. I'm smitten! especially when I dip them into creamy, tangy chèvre...


--Limpa rye bread: The traditional Swedish bread uses anise for its distinctive flavor, but this twist takes a typical rye bread (again, with organic rye flour and wheat flour from Stutzman Farms), sweetens it with local honey, and adds freshly grated orange zest, ground cardamom, and dried bronze fennel -- an anise-tasting herb -- from Karen's Garden Delights. If you don't think you like rye bread, try this for a hearty but delicately flavored change from your usual bread. (And think ahead: it would make a great palette for your leftover turkey sandwiches!)

Finally, you know the holidays are approaching when I start baking baklava once again. You'll find it in boxes of two pieces starting Friday; single pieces will be available in the bakery case next week. And if you're interested in having plenty of baklava for your holiday party, I'm happy to take special orders and offer volume discounts. Contact me at thegrainmaker [AT] gmail [DOT] com for more information.

More new stuff next week -- stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!