Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cheese-Herb Artisan Bread



After two journeys to France, I came home with a lingering fondness for real French bread. It isn't easily found around here (if at all), and while I don't claim to make a perfect replica of French baguettes or any other French bread, I enjoy making a simple artisan bread and adding different flavors to it.

Of course, nothing goes better with this kind of bread than good cheese, and at Local Roots, we have so many good cheeses that it's difficult sometimes to know where to begin! That's why I started pairing these local cheeses with homegrown or local herbs to add a little kick to the basic artisan bread recipe. Among the combinations I've tried so far are:

--dill cheddar curds from Blue Jacket Dairy with more dried dill
--garlic cheddar curds, also from Blue Jacket Dairy, with minced fresh basil
--creamy chèvre from Lucky Penny Creamery, either with dried thyme from Adonai Acres or minced fresh homegrown rosemary
--salty, creamy Chouda (cross between Cheddar and Gouda) from Canal Junction Farmstead Cheese, with dried thyme

And there are more cheeses to sample and experiment with! I could probably go on forever...

These breads are generally all made with unbleached wheat flour, but I hope to develop some half-whole grain variations over time. All are marked with the traditional "scallop" cuts on top of the loaf, something I've adopted as reminiscent of the Grain Maker logo.

Look for these on the shelf weekly, with combinations to change as cheeses are available. Stop by after work on Friday and pick up a loaf to go with your dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!