Thursday, March 25, 2010

Baklava


For over 20 years, baklava has appeared on my holiday baking lists as I prepare sweet (and even savory) treats for friends and family. People just can't resist the delicately flaky pastry, the spiced nuts, and the sweet honey syrup that sticks to their fingers. Every year, the list of eager recipients has grown to the point where I almost had to start a business to handle the demand.

Oh, wait. I did. And lucky you, you get to share in the delight of homemade baklava (in season from November into February or March).

The filo dough, while not homemade, is prepared by a local company, and I use the best local unsalted butter to layer the leaves of dough and choice local honey for the syrup. Pecans and walnuts generally appear in the filling, though I have had the opportunity on occasion to use delicious local heartnuts (a milder version of walnuts). Cloves anchor the top layers to the rest of the pastry -- it's so light and flaky, it might just fly away!

In season, this dessert is available at Local Roots Market (in-market as well as on the online order system). I am willing to consider special orders with plenty of advance notice (at least 3 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!