Friday, March 26, 2010

At the Market 3/26 and 3/27

For those who hope to make it to Local Roots to shop this weekend, here's what I'll have in store:

In the bakery case:

--Buckwheat butter cookies: One of my favorite not-too-sweet cookies, made with my homegrown and hand-milled buckwheat, local unsalted butter, and sweet hickory nuts from a local nut grower.

--Grandma's jam bars: I found a recipe my grandmother had made often when I was a child and updated it a bit. The dough uses local unsalted butter and the deliciously creamy Lemon Jewel Quark (like cream cheese) from Blue Jacket Dairy, and the filling is simply a jar of my homemade strawberry jam, using berries from last year's CSA basket. They're so good, I nibbled up all the scraps -- you're lucky there are any left for market!

--Pesto scones: These savory morsels are almost a cross between scones and biscuits with their light flaky texture. No garlic here, but the pesto flavors of basil (mixed with the local butter and frozen last fall), walnuts, and savory Burr Oak cheese (from Canal Junction, like a Parmesan cheese) make these scones the perfect accompaniment for your Italian-style meal.

On the shelf:

--Sesame thins
--Cheese-herb artisan bread: three varieties -- dill cheddar, chèvre and rosemary, and garlic cheddar and basil
--Maple oatmeal bread
--Pain aux noix
--Pumpernickel bread
--Whole wheat pita (in bags of four) -- new item!

Stop by and pick up something so you can enjoy the fresh, home-baked semi-whole-grain goodness at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!