Monday, March 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Pita Bread


When the warmer weather comes around, I find myself craving lighter meals -- and that sometimes means lighter breads. I still like the whole grain taste, but for sandwiches I'd sometimes prefer to use pita bread instead of thicker slices of homemade loaves.

That's why I'm adding these whole wheat pita breads to my market repertoire. They're very simple to make -- a little more than half whole wheat, with unbleached flour to keep them soft; no sweeteners, and just a touch of olive oil. And they satisfy a bread craving without going overboard.

These pita breads work well for sandwiches or even filled with fresh salad. (Here's a tip: cut the bread in half, then toast both sides just a little bit to help the pocket open up.) Cut them into wedges and serve them with hummus or other delicious dips, too.

I'm working on a spelt version, too, but for now you'll find these in the weekly rotation at Local Roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!