Friday, May 28, 2010

Shortcake Season


I got up early this morning so that I would have time to finish the baking for market this week. Not only did I need to make hickory oat scones for the bakery case, but I also wanted to try yet another new item: old-fashioned shortcakes.

Essentially a soft scone recipe, these shortcakes include freshly milled local wheat flour, maple sugar, local unsalted butter, and local eggs. The recipe also calls for yogurt, and I'm hoping that sometime in the next couple of months I will be able to get some delicious goat-milk yogurt from Lucky Penny Creamery in Kent. (Fingers crossed!)

The timing is perfect for these: strawberries are coming into market, and for the next few months there will be plenty of juicy local berries to satisfy any kind of shortcake craving. I think I will have to experiment with some myself.

Sold in packages of four shortcakes, there will be limited quantities at Local Roots this weekend, but if all goes well, I may try to have a plentiful supply for coming weeks.

How sweet it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!