Friday, May 21, 2010

At the Market 5/21 and 5/22

The last item is in the oven as I type, and it's going to be another good week at Local Roots Market! I spent last evening at Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, offering a seasonal cooking demonstration with Karen Geiser (of Karen's Garden Delights) that included fresh pesto scones and Karen's excellent rhubarb crunch. To those of you who joined us, thanks for your company and thoughtful questions -- we enjoyed it!

Now on to the important business of what you'll find on my shelf at Local Roots this week:

--Sesame thins
--Cheese-herb artisan bread: four varieties -- dill-cheddar, chèvre-rosemary, feta-oregano or Ludlow with fresh sage and tarragon
--Cinnamon pecan bread: definitely turning into a customer favorite
--Maple oatmeal bread
--Pain aux noix
--Pumpernickel bread
--Whole wheat pita (in bags of four)
--Zaatar flatbread

I confess I'm not entirely happy with how the maple oatmeal bread has been turning out lately, so I think I may experiment with the recipe this weekend to find something a little less dense. You tell me -- which do you prefer, dense or lighter whole grain breads?

You'll find delicious treats in the pastry case, too:

--Espresso chip shortbread, with local buckwheat, butter, and a hit of Al's Beanery's Espresso Mix coffee
--Cheddar-scallion rolls, with freshly milled local wheat, Blue Jacket Dairy fresh cheddar curds, homegrown dill, and fresh scallions from my garden

Now that the demonstration schedule is over, I hope to find a little more time to test some new recipes and consider offering new items at the market. Of course, that may not happen as the growing season really takes off, but I will try.

Enjoy your daily bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!