Thursday, October 21, 2010

Maple Hickory Pie


Even though the leaves are still drifting down from the trees, it's time to start thinking about the holidays. At Local Roots, we're encouraging people to plan a local Thanksgiving feast, and several producers will have special holiday items available for pre-order.

I've got a whole list of items I'll have available for the holidays, both at Local Roots and by special order, and if you stop by the market later this weekend, you can pick up one of the new brochures listing what will be available. Most items will be familiar, but one completely new item on the list will even be available in the bakery case at Local Roots tomorrow and Saturday: maple hickory pie.

I am a long-time fan of pecan pie, but in trying to put together a local Thanksgiving feast two years ago, I modified the usual recipe to replace corn syrup with local maple syrup and pecans with local hickory nuts. The resulting dessert impressed me as well as my folks, so I thought I'd offer it to other folks this season.

I've used the highest quality ingredients: delicious maple syrup from Gortner's along with some organic dark brown sugar, eggs from Adonai Acres, unsalted butter from Hartzler Family Dairy, hickory nuts from Bud Luers, and home-milled spelt flour (organic spelt from Stutzman Farms) combined with unbleached flour, salt, and nonhydrogenated organic vegetable shortening for the crust.

But don't take my word for it. Come to Local Roots this weekend and try a piece -- maybe you'll want it on your holiday table, too.

NOTE: Limited quantities will be available for holiday orders. Orders must be received at least one week in advance of the requested pickup date. Pies will be delivered to Local Roots and run through the market system. Questions? Contact me at thegrainmaker [AT] gmail [DOT] com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your feedback on these products, but please be kind and respectful of all!